Sunday, February 10, 2013

Two Projects Finished

Fort Worth Nature Center
oil on steel star
Donation for the North Texas Alzheimer's Association
      Here are two pieces of art I've been working on recently. The first is a painting that I've been working on for a while. It is a steel star that I painted for the North Texas Alzheimer's Association. I, along with several of my friends, decorated these stars and they will be auctioned off at a fund raiser at Ridglea Country Club early in the spring for the group. My painting is inspired by the landscape and animals of the Fort Worth Nature Center. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the others come up with.


Marine Creek Schoolhouse
20 x 24
oil on canvas
     The second is a painting of the Marine Creek schoolhouse, Fort Worth's first school. This school was originally in Fort Worth's Northside and now sits in Log Cabin Village.It was built as a school for the 20 or so school age children in Fort Worth at that time.
      Today Fort Worth has beautiful trees everywhere but in the oldest photos of the city there are very few trees. I imagine most of the first trees were cut down to build the early structures in the city and also as fuel for heating and cooking. I wanted to capture that empty feel but decided to add a few bare trees for the purpose of the composition.
       

7 comments:

  1. Your star is amazing! I can't imagine what it would be like to paint on steel and that shape. Well done!

    I like your schoolhouse painting. I think you captured the simplicity of the structure and the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda. I enjoyed painting them both, but am glad to be finished, really glad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the star painting. I know that was a difficult project. You pulled it off. The school house is well done. I love the glow you capture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The star looks great Doug and I love the warm glow around the schoolhouse. I suppose there were less trees everywhere back then, I hadn't thought of that, but I'm wondering if we are heading the same way again now we have a need for cheaper energy. Most people here are turning to log burners and I've noticed more trees being felled and logged on farmland in my locality, trouble is no one seems to be planting replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your star really shines! A wonderful painting that had to fit a difficult shape. The school house captures the feeling of space one finds in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The painting on the steel star is amazing..and for such a wonderful cause.! Your school house is truly beautiful, Doug!!! Glad to see you're back..I've missed you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo ! pour cette merveilleuse étoile avec votre art... Une cause généreuse. Mon papa adoptif avant de disparaître souffrait de la maladie d'Alzheimer.
    J'aime également votre peinture avec cette petite école... Une peinture où l'on devine la simplicité et à la fois la grandeur de l'âme.
    Un grand merci pour votre passage et votre gentil mot sur mon blog...
    Je suis heureuse de vous retrouver après mes longues semaines d'absence.
    Gros bisous à vous.

    ReplyDelete