Tuesday, May 29, 2012

More from Paint Historic Waxahachie

Past and Present
oil on canvas
8 x 10
$75
 The above painting is the one I started on Friday, the first day of the paintout with T. K. Riddle and Olivette Hubler. I finished it on the square on Sunday. Some of my other friends were also painting around the square including Allen Riddell, Chris Galvan, Debob Jacob, and Olivette Hubler. I liked the way the Confederate soldier seems to be looking at the United States flag.

The Rios Barber Shop
oil on canvas
8 x 10
$75
 This is the painting I did alongside my friend Kent Brewer. All of the unusual angles made this difficult to sketch for me. Eventually it was painted and I was fairly happy with it. I showed it to Kent and right away he saw that the shadow on the sign as well as the yellow building were too light in value. Once he pointed it out it was obvious, he was exactly right. I darkened them as seen in the painting above and it was a definite improvement, and I like it much better now. One of the best things one can do as an artist is have someone you respect look at your work and give you an honest critique.
Round Bales
oil on canvas
8 x 10
$200
 
      This was my sixth painting of the paintout. I liked that it had very limited colors. I used a bigger brush than I usually do and I found that I painted much faster. I finished this one in about an hour. It was really  hot so that was a good thing.

3 comments:

  1. Je suis heureuse de pouvoir voir les nouvelles toiles! Que de bons moments passés avec vos amis artistes!...
    Bravo!
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent plein air paintings, Douglas! I like them all---high five!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent paintings, Douglas!!! those round bales are wonderful....

    ReplyDelete