Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Horned Frog Sculpture, Horned Pride

Horned Pride
9 x 4 x 3.5 ( not including the base)
Bronze on Granite
Edition of 100
$800
This is one of the sculptures that I will have in my shows. It's also one of my newest pieces. I'd started it several years ago. I was inspired to create it for several reasons. First, because the horned toad or"horned frog" is the mascot of TCU where I graduated in 1988, second, it is the state reptile of Texas, and finally when I was a kid I had one as a pet but sadly they are very rare today. It just seemed like this was the time to finish it, and sure enough TCU went undefeated and went on to win the Rosebowl.

7 comments:

  1. Wow... your sculptures are really cool. Nice work on the paintings too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely impressed Douglas. Wonderful sculpture..you're very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fierce little fellow. My sister and I would catch these wonderful horned toads, stroke their bellies till they closed their eyes, then set them free. It is great to see your sculpture capturing this beloved Texas reptile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very impressive!I would love to take a sculpting class! You are so proficient in both mediums! Best to you with the shows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This guy just looks like he is enjoying hot a Texas day. This is a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. This one was a lot of fun as I tried to give him a bit of personality and attitude.

    ReplyDelete