Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Rosted" Pinon

"Rosted Pinon"
8 x 10
                                                                                                                                  
This one is just for fun. It's another of my paintings from along the High Road to Taos. I took this photo at Chimayo a small Spanish village founded at the end of the 17th century. Chimayo is famous for its church commonly called El Santuario de Chimayo. It is a beautiful church and has the reputation of being the site of miraculous healings. Many thousands of pilgrims visit every year from Mexico and across the Southwest. Vendors also sell all varieties of locally produced items, especially green and red chilis. A great place to eat is Leona's Restaurant located near the church. I took the photo for this painting near the parking lot for the visitors. I almost decided to correct the spelling on the sign but in the end I painted it as it was because I thought it added to its charm.  Likewise, the donkey was spotted and kind of a dirty color, and I didn't change her either.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this, Doug! It has a bit of whimsey. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was kind of fun to paint, if a bit silly thanks to the donkey's pose and the sign. Hope you are doing lots of painting during this week of ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete