Friday, June 17, 2011

Elk in Rocky Mountain National Park

In Velvet
8 x 10
oil on panel
Not for Sale
    This is an older painting, but probably the oldest one that I'm still pleased with after several years of painting. It is from an area near Sheep Lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. The bull elk still has the velvet on his antlers.
    RMNP is one of my favorite places in the world. The scenery is just amazing as is the wildlife. Elk, deer, moose, and bighorn sheep are some of the animals I usually see. I've been many times but one of my favorite trips was in the fall. The gold of the aspens made this a vacation I'll never forget. The temperatures were super and at night  the quite of the mountains was broken by the bugleing of the bull elk. It was a true blessing to experience  the whole trip.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful painting!! I've never been to Rocky Mountain National Park..but it looks like it will be put on my list. When I visited Yosemite, the wildlife there took my breath away. This Bull Elk stands so proud. Great job.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like this one Douglas. It seems like it was the scene of a split second where the elk was in a stroke of light. I understand you still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Douglas! Good drawing and use of edges.

    ReplyDelete