Saturday, June 25, 2011

Rockport Palms

Rockport Palms
8 x 10
oil on canvas
   Just returned from the coast and I've got several things to post.
   This was the view from our campsite in the Ancient Oaks Campground. I really enjoyed the pond. There were so many birds on and around it. There were seagulls, whistling ducks, a redhead drake, a blackduck, blue herons, several varieties of doves, grackles, and lots of others as well. At night the tent was filled with the songs of crickets and frogs. I really was drawn to this thick clump of palms and the strong vertical it presented as a composition.

7 comments:

  1. I can see why you were drawn to this composition, very strong. You did a beautiful painting Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. I always especially enjoy hearing from people outside the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good composition. Follows Edgar Payne's "L". Not sure why, but I don't relate palms to Texas. Guess I should get down to that coast! Will we be seeing some bird paintings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful painting Douglas. Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Doug... but where are all of the birds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great place to camp and bird watch. It was also a great place to paint. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete