Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cape Buffalo

Mbogo
12 x 4 x 7
bronze on granite
edition of 20
This is the first sculpture I ever sold. I will have one of them in the show at the Southwestern Adventist University at the end of the month. It was one of the most challenging pieces I've ever made. Usually I work from life or my own photos. To the best of my knowledge there aren't  any cape buffalos around here. My sister's neighbor, a big game hunter, had a head and some hooves that I used and I watched a lot of videos but I had a very hard time finding a back view. Thanks to the internet I finally found the images I needed. The neighbor really knew his cape buffalos and gave me great advice also. In the end I was pleased with the sculpture. The name Mbogo is the Swahili name for a cape buffalo.

2 comments:

  1. Very handsome animal! I like your story that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the internet grand? You got information to finish this wonderful sculpture, and I got to see it...great work, Douglas!

    ReplyDelete