Friday, March 11, 2011

Cloudy Day Painting

Hay at the Feed Store
8 x 10
oil on canvas
 Here is a painting that I did down at Waxahachie at the Jill Carver workshop. I did this one on the first day. We painted at the feed store. I painted one of the grain silos with the hay in front of it. I really chose this scene because of the trees in it. It was a gray cloudy day and all the structures were gray. So, our assignment was to work on values. The second day of class we looked at photographs of our paintings and the scene we painted on the computer in black and white. What I needed to work on was the wrappings on the hay, I had them too dark. The lesson for me was that yellow can be darker than green or blue. So today I got this painting out and lightened the wrappers.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that must be cool to get a workshop from Jill, I love her work. About this painting, you chose a very difficult situation to paint with the soft shadows and close values but you've pulled it off, very nice work Douglas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked out great. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete